AI forum assist Search, summarize, and draft without leaving the discussion.

Video: The Adinkra Symbols As Alphabets Their Hidden Meanings-gctid174216

Started by Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé, Jan 27, 2016, 09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé

'"
    n".self::process_list_items("'.str_replace('
    ', '', '
  • The Adinkra Symbols As Alphabets & Their Hidden Meanings').'")."n
"'
__________

Ọbádélé Kambon, PhD
Nana Kwame Pɛbi Date I, Ban mu Kyidɔmhene, Akuapem Mampɔn
Senior Research Fellow & Research Coordinator - Language, Literature and Drama Section
Institute of Kmtyw Studies - College of Humanities
Editor-in-Chief - Ghana Journal of Linguistics
Secretary (2015-2020) - Kmtyw Studies Association of Kmt
+233249195150 / +19192836824 | me@obadelekambon.com
www.obadelekambon.com | www.abibitumi.com
Room 115 IAS Kwame Nkrumah Complex
University of Ghana - Legon
Alternate Email: obkambon@staff.ug.edu.gh



Ọbádélé Kambon App



Abibitumi.com App

Tenkamenin

Woforo dua pa a, yɛpia wo.





If you climb a good tree, we push you.

Agya Yaw

QuoteObadele Kambon;174216 wrote:
'"
    n".self::process_list_items("'.str_replace('
    ', '', '
  • The Adinkra Symbols As Alphabets & Their Hidden Meanings
    ').'")."n
"'
Oh I get it, a Brother has ask questions on abibitumikasa.com to get answers to his questions. And not email them separately. My bad, my bad. :D Meda ase pa.

So to further my question. Is this book credible? Is this a new paradigm so to speak by this author or is he building off past work?

Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé

QuoteAgya Yaw;174219 wrote: Oh I get it, a Brother has ask questions on abibitumikasa.com to get answers to his questions. And not email them separately. My bad, my bad. :D Meda ase pa.

So to further my question. Is this book credible? Is this a new paradigm so to speak by this author or is he building off past work?
No one will ever accuse you of not being observant. Yɛnni aseda o.

To use your terminology, this is a new paradigm. He's assigning Adinkra to english alphabet letters. Conspicuous is his lack of ɛ and ɔ including in his own rendering of Twi. I would not be surprised if he did not know how to spell with ɛ and ɔ or in general as this tends to be the case even among native speakers who use the language professionally. I plan on working on a project on typos in Twi and their significance for the study of linguistics.
__________

Ọbádélé Kambon, PhD
Nana Kwame Pɛbi Date I, Ban mu Kyidɔmhene, Akuapem Mampɔn
Senior Research Fellow & Research Coordinator - Language, Literature and Drama Section
Institute of Kmtyw Studies - College of Humanities
Editor-in-Chief - Ghana Journal of Linguistics
Secretary (2015-2020) - Kmtyw Studies Association of Kmt
+233249195150 / +19192836824 | me@obadelekambon.com
www.obadelekambon.com | www.abibitumi.com
Room 115 IAS Kwame Nkrumah Complex
University of Ghana - Legon
Alternate Email: obkambon@staff.ug.edu.gh



Ọbádélé Kambon App



Abibitumi.com App

Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé

QuoteTenkamenin;174217 wrote: This is dope, am I tripping or is he missing Ɔ and Ɛ?
You're not trippin'. He mentioned in the video that he is modeling it based on the english alphabet because english is the language of instruction in Ghana. Ironically, it's not designed to accommodate the Akan alphabet so that his system couldn't be used to write the names of the Adinkra as is.
__________

Ọbádélé Kambon, PhD
Nana Kwame Pɛbi Date I, Ban mu Kyidɔmhene, Akuapem Mampɔn
Senior Research Fellow & Research Coordinator - Language, Literature and Drama Section
Institute of Kmtyw Studies - College of Humanities
Editor-in-Chief - Ghana Journal of Linguistics
Secretary (2015-2020) - Kmtyw Studies Association of Kmt
+233249195150 / +19192836824 | me@obadelekambon.com
www.obadelekambon.com | www.abibitumi.com
Room 115 IAS Kwame Nkrumah Complex
University of Ghana - Legon
Alternate Email: obkambon@staff.ug.edu.gh



Ọbádélé Kambon App



Abibitumi.com App

Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé

__________

Ọbádélé Kambon, PhD
Nana Kwame Pɛbi Date I, Ban mu Kyidɔmhene, Akuapem Mampɔn
Senior Research Fellow & Research Coordinator - Language, Literature and Drama Section
Institute of Kmtyw Studies - College of Humanities
Editor-in-Chief - Ghana Journal of Linguistics
Secretary (2015-2020) - Kmtyw Studies Association of Kmt
+233249195150 / +19192836824 | me@obadelekambon.com
www.obadelekambon.com | www.abibitumi.com
Room 115 IAS Kwame Nkrumah Complex
University of Ghana - Legon
Alternate Email: obkambon@staff.ug.edu.gh



Ọbádélé Kambon App



Abibitumi.com App

Tenkamenin

QuoteObadele Kambon;174222 wrote: You're not trippin'. He mentioned in the video that he is modeling it based on the english alphabet because english is the language of instruction in Ghana. Ironically, it's not designed to accommodate the Akan alphabet so that his system couldn't be used to write the names of the Adinkra as is.
Ahh man, I did not realize he using Adinkra symbols to write English, I thought he was using Adinkra symbols to write in Twi. O well next system!
Woforo dua pa a, yɛpia wo.





If you climb a good tree, we push you.

Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé

No, this isn't that. It's an intriguing project, but it's like what's the point if it's all just for the sake of english?
__________

Ọbádélé Kambon, PhD
Nana Kwame Pɛbi Date I, Ban mu Kyidɔmhene, Akuapem Mampɔn
Senior Research Fellow & Research Coordinator - Language, Literature and Drama Section
Institute of Kmtyw Studies - College of Humanities
Editor-in-Chief - Ghana Journal of Linguistics
Secretary (2015-2020) - Kmtyw Studies Association of Kmt
+233249195150 / +19192836824 | me@obadelekambon.com
www.obadelekambon.com | www.abibitumi.com
Room 115 IAS Kwame Nkrumah Complex
University of Ghana - Legon
Alternate Email: obkambon@staff.ug.edu.gh



Ọbádélé Kambon App



Abibitumi.com App

Agya Yaw

QuoteObadele Kambon;174227 wrote: No, this isn't that. It's an intriguing project, but it's like what's the point if it's all just for the sake of english?
That's what was I trying to get at with my question. Adinkra straight to english alphabet....huh? Why not Adinkra to Twi alphabet with english explanation/translation? (Rhetorical question.) But since I've been very interested in Adinkra symbols, I think I'll support the Brother.  Since I expect some background to be given in the book on Adinkra in general.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app

Tenkamenin

QuoteAgya Yaw;174231 wrote: That's what was I trying to get at with my question. Adinkra straight to english alphabet....huh? Why not Adinkra to Twi alphabet with english explanation/translation? (Rhetorical question.) But since I've been very interested in Adinkra symbols, I think I'll support the Brother.  Since I expect some background to be given in the book on Adinkra in general.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app
The problem is he thought of the adinkra characters in english, for example what love means with the adinkra symbols in english means something completely different inTwi (ɔdɔ).
Woforo dua pa a, yɛpia wo.





If you climb a good tree, we push you.

Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé

QuoteAgya Yaw;174231 wrote: That's what was I trying to get at with my question. Adinkra straight to english alphabet....huh? Why not Adinkra to Twi alphabet with english explanation/translation? (Rhetorical question.) But since I've been very interested in Adinkra symbols, I think I'll support the Brother.  Since I expect some background to be given in the book on Adinkra in general.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app
You should support him. At the end of the day, it's far better than sitting in church praying to an imaginary white man.

Sent from my GHANA-MADE RLG Uhuru Accu BrilliantPhone using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app
__________

Ọbádélé Kambon, PhD
Nana Kwame Pɛbi Date I, Ban mu Kyidɔmhene, Akuapem Mampɔn
Senior Research Fellow & Research Coordinator - Language, Literature and Drama Section
Institute of Kmtyw Studies - College of Humanities
Editor-in-Chief - Ghana Journal of Linguistics
Secretary (2015-2020) - Kmtyw Studies Association of Kmt
+233249195150 / +19192836824 | me@obadelekambon.com
www.obadelekambon.com | www.abibitumi.com
Room 115 IAS Kwame Nkrumah Complex
University of Ghana - Legon
Alternate Email: obkambon@staff.ug.edu.gh



Ọbádélé Kambon App



Abibitumi.com App

Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé

QuoteTenkamenin;174235 wrote: The problem is he thought of the adinkra characters in english, for example what love means with the adinkra symbols in english means something completely different inTwi (ɔdɔ).
You're correct. I was thinking about how this could be implemented drawing parallels between signs chosen and Mdw Ntr sound values

Sent from my GHANA-MADE RLG Uhuru Accu BrilliantPhone using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app
__________

Ọbádélé Kambon, PhD
Nana Kwame Pɛbi Date I, Ban mu Kyidɔmhene, Akuapem Mampɔn
Senior Research Fellow & Research Coordinator - Language, Literature and Drama Section
Institute of Kmtyw Studies - College of Humanities
Editor-in-Chief - Ghana Journal of Linguistics
Secretary (2015-2020) - Kmtyw Studies Association of Kmt
+233249195150 / +19192836824 | me@obadelekambon.com
www.obadelekambon.com | www.abibitumi.com
Room 115 IAS Kwame Nkrumah Complex
University of Ghana - Legon
Alternate Email: obkambon@staff.ug.edu.gh



Ọbádélé Kambon App



Abibitumi.com App

Agya Yaw

QuoteTenkamenin;174235 wrote: The problem is he thought of the adinkra characters in english, for example what love means with the adinkra symbols in english means something completely different inTwi (ɔdɔ).
The book Cloth As Metaphor is primary for me. So I've been looking for secondary sources. On the surface I don't see this work being worse than the book The Adinkra Dictionary. Which has a few problems IMO.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app

Tenkamenin

QuoteObadele Kambon;174252 wrote: You're correct. I was thinking about how this could be implemented drawing parallels between signs chosen and Mdw Ntr sound values

Sent from my GHANA-MADE RLG Uhuru Accu BrilliantPhone using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app
I will patiently wait for you and other linguists to show us how to use Mdw Ntr characters in Twi.
Woforo dua pa a, yɛpia wo.





If you climb a good tree, we push you.

Tenkamenin

Dr. Korankye is a very nice brother. He and I have been going back and forth via email, and here is his latest reply,

"There are 3 unassigned characters in the book. These are Dwinnimmen, Osram Ne Nsoromma and Nea Onnim No Sua Ohu. I have assigned Dwinnimmen to the letter "3" and Osram Ne Nsoromma to the letter "c". I have created the corresponding Adinkra Alphabet characters for the symbols on my webpage at www.adinkraalphabet.com. The meaning and numerical value of these symbols are already in the book."

He will also be coming out with a Twi edition.
Woforo dua pa a, yɛpia wo.





If you climb a good tree, we push you.