Communiversity

Open Forum => Open Forum => : Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé Aug 23, 2008, 05:06 p

: 50 secrets from the science of persuasion-gctid30734
: Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé Aug 23, 2008, 05:06 p
50 secrets from the science of persuasion (http://biasandbelief.wordpress.com/2008/01/08/50-secrets-from-the-science-of-persuasion/)

               Posted on January 8, 2008 by Martin Poulter
                               I recently read "Yes! 50 secrets from the science of persuasion (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=DNIMIAAACAAJ)" by Goldstein, Martin and Cialdini (Profile books, 2007). Written by a united snakes/UK team, it summarises a wide range of published scientific experiments, some of which are very recent, and draws out lessons for managers and workers in marketing/sales. It's similar in its themes to Cialdini's previous books on persuasion, but definitely aimed at the business community rather than researchers or students.
 If I say it's been dumbed down for managers, I risk irritating any managers who read this... well, I've gone and said it anyway.
 Below are my one-line summaries of the book's evidence-based tips. They aren't meant to substitute for the book itself (which is a recommended read, except for some annoyingly twee aphorisms) but if you already know about persuasion research, this may be a helpful guide.
 
'"').'")."n[/list type=decimal]"'
 E-influence:
 
'"').'")."n[/list]"'
 Global influence:
 
'""'
 Critical thinking note: In the interest of brevity, I've summarised the tips in the broadest, most optimistic way possible, going beyond what's scientifically proven. Your situation might be different from the scenario described in the research reports.
 
                             Filed under: Psychology (http://wordpress.com/tag/psychology/),  persuasion (http://wordpress.com/tag/persuasion/)