Communiversity

Afrikan Language Institute => Akan (Twi) Language Resources => : Cosmos Manu Mar 28, 2017, 04:28 p

: Learning Twi-gctid226684
: Cosmos Manu Mar 28, 2017, 04:28 p
Twi word for referee

Sent from my Infinix_X521 using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
: Learning Twi-gctid226685
: Agya Yaw Mar 28, 2017, 04:33 p
Cosmos Manu;226684 wrote: Twi word for refree

Sent from my Infinix_X521 using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
Do you mean referee?

Sent from my LG-K428 using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
: Learning Twi-gctid226686
: Cosmos Manu Mar 28, 2017, 04:36 p
Yes

Sent from my Infinix_X521 using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
: Learning Twi-gctid226691
: Agya Yaw Mar 28, 2017, 05:28 p
Cosmos Manu;226686 wrote: Yes

Sent from my Infinix_X521 using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
akuturukubɔ is the word I believe.
: Learning Twi-gctid226696
: Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé Mar 28, 2017, 06:37 p
Agya Yaw;226691 wrote: akuturukubɔ is the word I believe.
@Agya Yaw, that's boxing. Anane (2000:319) has ɔhwɛfoɔ and ɔsɛntwamufoɔ. Ɔpatafoɔ could also work as the referee for akuturukubɔ 'boxing'

Sent from my Uhuru Note using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
: Learning Twi-gctid226697
: Agya Yaw Mar 28, 2017, 06:44 p
Obadele Kambon;226696 wrote: @Agya Yaw (https://www.abibitumikasa.com/forums/member.php?u=7644), that's boxing. Anane (2000:319) has ɔhwɛfoɔ and ɔsɛntwamufoɔ. Ɔpatafoɔ could also work as the referee for akuturukubɔ 'boxing'

Sent from my Uhuru Note using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
Kose, read the dictionary wrong.
                            Attached files  (https://www.abibitumi.com/wp-content/uploads/ppMigration/226697=9875-Untitled.png) (https://www.abibitumi.com/wp-content/uploads/ppMigration/226697=9875-Untitled.png)
: Learning Twi-gctid226701
: Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé Mar 28, 2017, 07:27 p
Number two translates to somebody who has the power to oversee a sport like football or boxing.

Sent from my Uhuru Note using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
: Learning Twi-gctid226747
: Cosmos Manu Mar 29, 2017, 06:38 p
Thanks

Sent from my Infinix_X521 using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
: Learning Twi-gctid227552
: Csalaam Apr 04, 2017, 06:17 p
Agya Yaw;226697 wrote: Kose, read the dictionary wrong.
saa firi nsɛmfua nwoma bɛn?
: Learning Twi-gctid227555
: Agya Yaw Apr 04, 2017, 06:46 p
Csalaam;227552 wrote: saa firi nsɛmfua nwoma bɛn?
Advanced Akan Dictionary by J.O. Anane (2000). I should have mentioned this dictionary when we spoke. I will email it to you.
: Learning Twi-gctid227556
: Csalaam Apr 04, 2017, 06:51 p
aahh mate. Menim saa nsɛmfua nwoma. Da ase
: Learning Twi-gctid227560
: Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé Apr 04, 2017, 07:22 p
Agya Yaw;226697 wrote: Kose, read the dictionary wrong.
Also note that it's kosɛ not kose. That one is more like fried bean fritters.

Sent from my Uhuru Note using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
: Learning Twi-gctid227561
: Agya Yaw Apr 04, 2017, 07:27 p
Csalaam;227556 wrote: aahh mate. Menim saa nsɛmfua nwoma. Da ase
It's funny, I just realized I interrupted nsɛmfua nwoma as dictionary the first time I read it in your first post. Then word book the second time in your second post. I don't know what that means for me but I thought that was interesting.
: Learning Twi-gctid227562
: Agya Yaw Apr 04, 2017, 07:29 p
Obadele Kambon;227560 wrote: Also note that it's kosɛ not kose. That one is more like fried bean fritters.

Sent from my Uhuru Note using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
That's more of a keyboard issue. But I got it wrong nonetheless. I should have gone back and corrected it.
: Learning Twi-gctid227563
: Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé Apr 04, 2017, 07:33 p
Agya Yaw;227562 wrote: That's more of a keyboard issue. But I got it wrong nonetheless. I should have gone back and corrected it.
Wonim nko ara deɛ a, ɛyɛ.

Sent from my GHANA-MADE RLG Uhuru Note BrilliantPhone using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app
: Learning Twi-gctid227564
: Csalaam Apr 04, 2017, 07:36 p
Obadele Kambon;227563 wrote: Wonim nko ara deɛ a, ɛyɛ.

Sent from my GHANA-MADE RLG Uhuru Note BrilliantPhone using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app
Pa kyɛw, wotumi kyerɛ aseɛ anaa?

"Abosom na ɛkyerɛ kɔmfoɔ ntwaho"
: Learning Twi-gctid227565
: Kwadwo Tòkunbọ̀ Apr 04, 2017, 07:41 p
It takes me all day to translate these conversations lol!

-------------------------------------------
The oppressed, having internalized the image of the oppressor and adopted his guidelines, are fearful of freedom.
Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed
: Learning Twi-gctid227566
: Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé Apr 04, 2017, 07:42 p
As long as you know, it's cool.

Sent from my Uhuru Note using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
: Learning Twi-gctid227567
: Kwadwo Tòkunbọ̀ Apr 04, 2017, 07:44 p
Obadele Kambon;227566 wrote: As long as you know, it's cool.

Sent from my Uhuru Note using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
I think I know!!  Tough part is figuring out the root word because the dictionary doesn't show plural, words with prefix and suffixes...

-------------------------------------------
The oppressed, having internalized the image of the oppressor and adopted his guidelines, are fearful of freedom.
Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed
: Learning Twi-gctid227568
: Agya Yaw Apr 04, 2017, 07:47 p
obadele kambon;227563 wrote: wonim nko ara deɛ a, ɛyɛ.

Sent from my ghana-made rlg uhuru note brilliantphone using abibitumi kasa mobile app
:d
: Learning Twi-gctid227569
: Kwadwo Tòkunbọ̀ Apr 04, 2017, 07:49 p
Csalaam;227564 wrote: Pa kyɛw, wotumi kyerɛ aseɛ anaa?

"Abosom na ɛkyerɛ kɔmfoɔ ntwaho"
For example. I think wotumi is wo+tumi.

Wo-you
Tumi-can?

So it's excuse me, can you translate this? Aseɛ ɛkyerɛ sɛn?

-------------------------------------------
The oppressed, having internalized the image of the oppressor and adopted his guidelines, are fearful of freedom.
Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed
: Learning Twi-gctid227570
: Agya Yaw Apr 04, 2017, 07:49 p
kevlew;227567 wrote: I think I know!!  Tough part is figuring out the root word because the dictionary doesn't show plural, words with prefix and suffixes...

-------------------------------------------
The oppressed, having internalized the image of the oppressor and adopted his guidelines, are fearful of freedom.
Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed
Try to identify the verb. That opens the door for me. There's usually a pronoun attached to it.
: Learning Twi-gctid227576
: Csalaam Apr 04, 2017, 07:52 p
Obadele Kambon;227566 wrote: As long as you know, it's cool.

Sent from my Uhuru Note using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
Sɛn na "nko ara deɛ" kyerɛ "as long as"?

"Abosom na ɛkyerɛ kɔmfoɔ ntwaho"
: Learning Twi-gctid227577
: Kwadwo Tòkunbọ̀ Apr 04, 2017, 07:57 p
Agya Yaw;227570 wrote: Try to identify the verb. That opens the door for me. There's usually a pronoun attached to it.
Meda ase.  So for example,

"Pa kyɛw, wotumi kyerɛ aseɛ anaa?"

Pa kyɛw ( Excuse me)

Wotumi ( verb - you+ can?)
Kyerɛ (teach?)
Aseɛ (this?)

I started to try reading Twi grammar stories as you suggested.  Pronunciation is much better but translating and understanding how to formulate sentences are struggling.

-------------------------------------------
The oppressed, having internalized the image of the oppressor and adopted his guidelines, are fearful of freedom.
Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed
: Learning Twi-gctid227578
: Kwadwo Tòkunbọ̀ Apr 04, 2017, 08:01 p
kevlew;227577 wrote: Meda ase.  So for example,

"Pa kyɛw, wotumi kyerɛ aseɛ anaa?"

Pa kyɛw ( Excuse me)

Wotumi ( verb - you+ can?)
Kyerɛ (teach?)
Aseɛ (this?)

I started to try reading Twi grammar stories as you suggested.  Pronunciation is much better but translating and understanding how to formulate sentences are struggling.

-------------------------------------------
The oppressed, having internalized the image of the oppressor and adopted his guidelines, are fearful of freedom.
Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed
Get ready for my _____ekyerɛ sɛn every sentence lol ?

-------------------------------------------
The oppressed, having internalized the image of the oppressor and adopted his guidelines, are fearful of freedom.
Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed
: Learning Twi-gctid227579
: Csalaam Apr 04, 2017, 08:08 p
kevlew;227577 wrote: Meda ase.  So for example,

"Pa kyɛw, wotumi kyerɛ aseɛ anaa?"

Pa kyɛw ( Excuse me)

Wotumi ( verb - you+ can?)
Kyerɛ (teach?)
Aseɛ (this?)

I started to try reading Twi grammar stories as you suggested.  Pronunciation is much better but translating and understanding how to formulate sentences are struggling.

-------------------------------------------
The oppressed, having internalized the image of the oppressor and adopted his guidelines, are fearful of freedom.
Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed
"Excuse me, You can show under (translate) it, or?"

"Abosom na ɛkyerɛ kɔmfoɔ ntwaho"
: Learning Twi-gctid227581
: Agya Yaw Apr 04, 2017, 08:10 p
kevlew;227577 wrote: Meda ase.  So for example,

"Pa kyɛw, wotumi kyerɛ aseɛ anaa?"

Pa kyɛw ( Excuse me)

Wotumi ( verb - you+ can?)
Kyerɛ (teach?)
Aseɛ (this?)

I started to try reading Twi grammar stories as you suggested.  Pronunciation is much better but translating and understanding how to formulate sentences are struggling.

-------------------------------------------
The oppressed, having internalized the image of the oppressor and adopted his guidelines, are fearful of freedom.
Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed
Get ready for dealing with the different ways "no" is used. I'm messin' with you now.
: Learning Twi-gctid227582
: Kwadwo Tòkunbọ̀ Apr 04, 2017, 08:13 p
Csalaam;227579 wrote: "Excuse me, You can show under (translate) it, or?"

"Abosom na ɛkyerɛ kɔmfoɔ ntwaho"
Yoo mate. Meda wo ase.  I will keep at it. Hopefully it clicks one day.

-------------------------------------------
The oppressed, having internalized the image of the oppressor and adopted his guidelines, are fearful of freedom.
Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed
: Learning Twi-gctid227583
: Kwadwo Tòkunbọ̀ Apr 04, 2017, 08:16 p
Agya Yaw;227581 wrote: Get ready for dealing with the different ways "no" is used. I'm messin' with you now.
Killin me! Lol

-------------------------------------------
The oppressed, having internalized the image of the oppressor and adopted his guidelines, are fearful of freedom.
Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed