Communiversity

Afrikan Language Institute => Akan (Twi) Language Resources => : Keyinde_Shabaka Aug 30, 2016, 02:40 p

: Twi question-gctid198581
: Keyinde_Shabaka Aug 30, 2016, 02:40 p
Abibifahodie family,

I need some assistance pls. A friend of mine (who is Ghanaian) said to me "too mati" at the end of our conversation. What does this phrase mean?

Medase for your help...

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
: Twi question-gctid198591
: Kwadwo Tòkunbọ̀ Aug 30, 2016, 05:28 p
You sure it wasn't " Yoo, mate?"
: Twi question-gctid198990
: Keyinde_Shabaka Sep 02, 2016, 07:21 p
kevlew;198591 wrote: You sure it wasn't " Yoo, mate?"
Abibifahodie kevlev,

I realized after I posted the question that my auto-correct changed what I typed. Should have been, "yoo mati". Dr. Obadele Kambon reached out to me though, and answered my question.

Medase king

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Abibitumi Kasa mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=88213)
: Twi question-gctid200841
: Agya Yaw Sep 20, 2016, 12:10 p
@Obadele Kambon or anyone else who might know.

How do would you say Yaw's Photos in Twi? Yaw Mfonyin? The possessive on Yaw is implied, correct.
: Twi question-gctid200842
: Agya Yaw Sep 20, 2016, 12:10 p
@Obadele Kambon (http://www.abibitumikasa.com/forums/member.php?u=1) or anyone else who might know.

How do would you say Yaw's Photos in Twi? Yaw Mfonyin or Yaw Mfoni? The possessive on Yaw and photos is implied, correct?
: Twi question-gctid201006
: Tenkamenin Sep 21, 2016, 08:45 p
Agya Yaw;200842 wrote: @Obadele Kambon (http://www.abibitumikasa.com/forums/member.php?u=1) or anyone else who might know.

How do would you say Yaw's Photos in Twi? Yaw Mfonyin or Yaw Mfoni? The possessive on Yaw and photos is implied, correct?
Mfonyin is Mfantse kasa, I think the answer is Yaw Mfoni dodoɔ (many).  I will wait for Dr. O to verify.
: Twi question-gctid201008
: Kwadwo Tòkunbọ̀ Sep 21, 2016, 09:07 p
I have a friend from Ghana on my bus.....stalking her to speak Twi!
: Twi question-gctid201021
: Agya Yaw Sep 21, 2016, 09:52 p
Tenkamenin;201006 wrote: Mfonyin is Mfantse kasa, I think the answer is Yaw Mfoni dodoɔ (many).  I will wait for Dr. O to verify.
Meda ase!
: Twi question-gctid201026
: Mr Sparkle Sep 21, 2016, 10:34 p
Yaw, ne mfoni
: Twi question-gctid201039
: Agya Yaw Sep 21, 2016, 11:56 p
Mr Sparkle;201026 wrote: Yaw, ne mfoni
Yaw ne mfoni? I would translate that as Yaw and photos (pictures or images). Just asking since I don't know for sure. This is important as this is probably what I will be naming my company.

Meda ase.
: Twi question-gctid201081
: Tenkamenin Sep 21, 2016, 04:49 p
Agya Yaw;201039 wrote: Yaw ne mfoni? I would translate that as Yaw and photos (pictures or images). Just asking since I don't know for sure. This is important as this is probably what I will be naming my company.

Meda ase.
My wife is a native speaker and she says it would be "Yaw Mfoni".   In David Adu-Amankwah's book "Asante Twi Learners' Reference Grammar" he mentions that we have words in Twi that do not change form, for example, ntoma (garment), mpa (bed), mpaboa (shoe), mpomma (window), etc.
: Twi question-gctid201089
: Agya Yaw Sep 21, 2016, 05:13 p
Tenkamenin;201081 wrote: My wife is a native speaker and she says it would be "Yaw Mfoni".   In David Adu-Amankwah's book "Asante Twi Learners' Reference Grammar" he mentions that we have words in Twi that do not change form, for example, ntoma (garment), mpa (bed), mpaboa (shoe), mpomma (window), etc.
Mo! Since that's the name I want to use. I will await Obadele's 2nd seal of approval.

Kyea wo yere ma me. If I butchered that I'm trying to say, "Greet your wife for me".
: Twi question-gctid201092
: Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé Sep 21, 2016, 05:36 p
See the dictionary.
First is Akuapem, second Asante, third Mfantse.
                            Attached files  (https://www.abibitumi.com/wp-content/uploads/ppMigration/201092=9518-2016-09-21_17-35-43.jpg) (https://www.abibitumi.com/wp-content/uploads/ppMigration/201092=9518-2016-09-21_17-35-43.jpg)
: Twi question-gctid201093
: Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé Sep 21, 2016, 05:40 p
Yaw mfoni
Asante
: Twi question-gctid201097
: Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé Sep 21, 2016, 07:06 p
Tenkamenin;201081 wrote: My wife is a native speaker and she says it would be "Yaw Mfoni".   In David Adu-Amankwah's book "Asante Twi Learners' Reference Grammar" he mentions that we have words in Twi that do not change form, for example, ntoma (garment), mpa (bed), mpaboa (shoe), mpomma (window), etc.
Tie wo yere asɛm! :hugs:

I was in a meeting and couldn't really respond. According to Professor E. Kweku Osam, there are people in Gomoa and other places where Mfantse is spoken where they use constructions like

Yaw, ne mfoni

At one time, this type of construction may have been more widespread as you find vestiges of it in Yorùbá (including in my first name) and Wolof. I discuss resumptive pronouns in my encyclopedia article on Kmtywisms in Contemporary English as does Dr. Reginald Duah et. al on his paper showing parallels between various Ghanaian languages and Ebonics (what I prefer to call Kmtyw anti-amerikkkan). There's a book that goes into the linguistic structure of Ebonics by Green that some may want to check out as some dialects of it preserve it as you hear in the song Tennessee by Arrested Development.

But, in short, this isn't standard Asante Twi. Your wife was right both in terms of syntax and spelling. Mo!
: Twi question-gctid201099
: Agya Yaw Sep 21, 2016, 07:28 p
Obadele Kambon;201097 wrote: Tie wo yere asɛm! :hugs:

I was in a meeting and couldn't really respond. According to Professor E. Kweku Osam, there are people in Gomoa and other places where Mfantse is spoken where they use constructions like

Yaw, ne mfoni

At one time, this type of construction may have been more widespread as you find vestiges of it in Yorùbá (including in my first name) and Wolof. I discuss resumptive pronouns in my encyclopedia article on Kmtywisms in Contemporary English as does Dr. Reginald Duah et. al on his paper showing parallels between various Ghanaian languages and Ebonics (what I prefer to call Kmtyw anti-amerikkkan). There's a book that goes into the linguistic structure of Ebonics by Green that some may want to check out as some dialects of it preserve it as you hear in the song Tennessee by Arrested Development.

But, in short, this isn't standard Asante Twi. Your wife was right both in terms of syntax and spelling. Mo!
Lisa J. Green?
: Twi question-gctid201102
: Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé Sep 21, 2016, 08:15 p
Agya Yaw;201099 wrote: Lisa J. Green?
Aane.
: Twi question-gctid201135
: Tenkamenin Sep 22, 2016, 03:25 p
Obadele Kambon;201092 wrote: See the dictionary.
First is Akuapem, second Asante, third Mfantse.
Is this J.O. Anane's dictionary? If so is this the 2000 or 2010 edition? I have the 2000 edition and I was wondering if the 2010 includes translations for words like internet?

Thanks
: Twi question-gctid201136
: Tenkamenin Sep 22, 2016, 03:26 p
Obadele Kambon;201092 wrote: See the dictionary.
First is Akuapem, second Asante, third Mfantse.
Is this J.O. Anane's dictionary? If so is this the 2000 or 2010 edition? I have the 2000 edition and I was wondering if the 2010 includes translations for words like internet?

Thanks
: Twi question-gctid212523
: Ɔbenfo Ọbádélé Dec 16, 2016, 09:03 p
This is the 2012 edition and there is no word for internet listed. Here, we use fidie ntentan, which I came up with.

Sent from my GHANA-MADE RLG Uhuru Accu BrilliantPhone using the NEW Abibitumi Kasa mobile app